Monday, February 11, 2013

Forgotten

Broken smile, tangled hair and dirty clothes.

I came into her room; it was noon she was still in her pajamas and she wouldn't move.

"Hey, come on. It's time" I say

"It's amazing how no one remembers me, how I've been lying here for the past weeks and no one even gives me a call" she answers

"Look, I know it's harsh and I understand you but you have to move on" a smile filled with irony appears in her face

"You understand me? When was the last time you got sick? I'm sorry but you don't know a thing about my life. Have you ever thought on how many people will give a damn if you just disappeared? It's amazing huh? How in one moment people will eventually forget you, how even though you have been a good person people will still move on. Because at the end, life doesn't stop for anybody. Everyone tells you how sad and painful death is but no one tells you what happens next: people move on, they forget about you. So let me be forgotten and leave me alone"

"Yes, you are forgotten by people but that's the important thing"

"What?" She answers astonished.

I slowly move next to her and look at her.

"People will forget you, they will move on and eventually they will die too. But the important thing is to leave something worth remembering. If you don't want to be forgotten well then you have to make something or be someone that no one will ever forget. Even though things change people will remember you and even though it's just for a second; for that second you were something to someone, and that's what matters. So yes, I will leave you here but just remember that every minute  you waste lying here in your bed doing nothing, someone out there is making something worth remembering. You know how many people have died or lived? There are so many I can't even tell you, but figures like Einstein or Ghandi are the ones that transcend, those are the ones that you remember. You think it was easy for them? of course not because everything in this life has a prize and I'm not talking about money, you have to be ready to pay the prize or just live as a normal person"

No comments:

Post a Comment