Saturday, March 2, 2013

Society

Since we were little society made us a certain way. Our parents used to tell us stories about a princess in need of a prince or about a frog who was kissed and transformed into a prince. We watched movies about love, read books and listened to stories. We grew up thinking a prince was going to come and save us, thinking how easy dreams were made and achieved. But we grew up only to be disappointed, life taught us that finding a prince is hard, that dreaming of a goal isn't enough to achieve it and most of all that love can be unattainable.

What if love is just an illusion? What if society made up this idea of loving someone so we could feel like life was worth living? I started to analyze my life and I found out I wanted to have a date or a boyfriend just because society demanded it. I am seventeen and I need to have a boyfriend, why? Because everyone else has one. Society keeps giving us clues of what we are supposed to do at a certain age not only with love but with life, at twenty two you need to have a job or at twenty eight you have to be engaged.

A few months ago I broke up with my two-month boyfriend, I realize I was with him not because I was lonely but because I felt happy society finally acknowledged me. Society saw me like someone who could love and be loved in return. What everyone finally told me was that I was worth nothing if I didn't have a boyfriend.

It's sad how little we have evolved, if you look back; society always changed everyone. You can't be gay because you are not worth it, you can't study medicine because you are too dumb, you have to be married in order to hang out with us... So to you I ask "What is wrong with us?"

I have to believe love is real. I have to believe there is a prince out there waiting for me, I have to. I need to. I need to believe this world is more than just bones and flesh, that there's more than just sadness and misery. I need to believe that love letters can still be written, that roses are a symbol of love, that first kisses still exist and most of all I need to believe you are out there.

I'd like to live in a place were my daughter feels safe to say she is gay or feel free to do whatever she wants. I'd like to live in a world where suicide disappears, where society accepts you no matter what.

So to you out there think for a moment before you judge, don't be scared if you are all alone it doesn't matter. Don't settle for less than you deserve, don't be afraid. Go to medicine school or art school or do whatever the hell you want, but do it with your heart.

To you out there, prove me I'm wrong. Prove me that love exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment